The Anatomical Museum, founded and developed by the Monro dynasty, flourished under Sir William Turner, Professor of Anatomy from 1867 to 1903, and Principal of the University from 1903 to 1917. Turner had broad interests in evolution and comparative anatomy and built up the impressive collections displayed. The splendid museum hall was at the heart of the new Medical School designed by the architect Robert Rowand Anderson. It opened with great ceremony in 1884. In the 1950s, the three storey museum hall was reduced to a single upper storey which still survives as museum.
Since 2012 the museum has been open to the public. We are open on the last Saturday of the month (except June, July and December).
Please check out Facebook for the most up to date information regarding events and opening times. At all other times the museum is used for anatomy teaching and study and is not publicly accessible.
Image Source: The Anatomical Museum
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.